Join us for a Design St Andrews summer meetup when Uta Hinrichs will give a hands-on workshop on how to represent data using physical materials.
Data physicalisation is a way to encode data in the form of physical artefacts and experiences. The workshop will provide a brief overview of the opportunities and benefits of designing physical artefacts using data for engaging audiences (especially non-specialists) in data explorations and analysis. This will be followed by a hands-on activity where participants are invited to work together in groups and create their own data physicalisations based on provided data sets.
Participants will learn how to translate data into material forms and how materials may help engage people with data using, in particular, tactile senses.
• 2pm – Design St Andrews Welcome
• 2.15pm – Introduction to Data Physicalisation
• 2.45pm – Data Physicalisation Activity
• 3:30pm – Discussion of Physicalisation Outcomes
• 3:55pm – Closing & future event date announcement
The event will take place in the Jack Cole building at the North Haugh, Room 1.33a.